Do I even have a case for criminal transmission of HIV?

My now ex had unprotected sex with a guy whose girlfriend is HIV positive. It is known this guy and his girlfriend have unprotected sex.I just found out my ex had unprotected sex with this guy before having unprotected sex with me and now I’m infected. I feel my life is over.

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Delaware


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am very sorry to hear about your situation.  There have been many cases where an individual has been criminally prosecuted for having unprotected sex after they have become aware of the fact that they carry the HIV virus.  I also suspect you can bring a civil action against your ex for your monetary damages, as you are now likely incurring medical bills, not to mention emotional distress, as a result of this.  The key here is you have to show your ex knew she carried the virus and showed complete disregard with respect to exposing you to it and that you were not exposed to the virus in any other way than by her.    I would suggest you start by contacting a civil attorney in your area and obtain a consultation as to your options with respect to this.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.