What to do if I’m being charged with malignant damage to property?

I scratched someone’s car and a policeman saw the paint on my keys. I do not have an attorney. Must I plead guilty? What can I do?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with malicious damage to property you should consult with an attorney about the circumstances that you are in. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may qualify for a public defender to represent you or a court appointed attorney.

You are not required to plead guilty at your arraignment, You can plead "not guilty" or "no contest". Given your situation, you should meet with a criminal defense attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.