**** crimes

my mom recently called the police on my friend for **** crimes and since she has they showed up at his house just knocking on the door. the family has not answered the door but can they eventually break into his house?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The police can't break into the house without a warrant, for certain, unless they are chasing someone who they believe has just committed a dangerous crime.  I can't say whether or not the police have a warrant, in this case, there's probably no way to find that out until someone answers the door.  Usually, the police need something more than a citizen complaint to get a warrant, but maybe not a whole lot more.

Your friend probably needs to talk to a lawyer, depending on just what your mother might have told the police.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.