What are my rights f my credit card tips were not given to me after termination?

I willingly left a job, and was paid my last check. However, the employer did not pay me my credit card tips I earned, it’s been over a month. I went into the place of business and he refused to give me my earned tips. He said that because I made a status on Facebook, he would not give them too me. I did not slander any names, I just said how upset I was about it. In fact, I did not mention any names in the status. Can he not pay me my earned tips because of this?

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer has no right to withhold your tips or any part of your pay--even if you had defamed or slandered your employer, they still have to pay you everything to which you are entitled. (They'd be able to sue you if you defamed them; but the fact that they might have a cause of action against you does not release them from their obligation to pay you.) You may sue your employer, such as in small claims court, as your own attorney ("pro se") for the money which, unfortunately, is the only reasonable way to get the tips--and is still only worth it if the amount of tips at stake is worth giving up a workday (since court is typically M-F, 9-4:30) for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.