How to get removed from a joint bank account?

I have been divorced for 5 months and have recently become aware that I am still on my ex’s bank account. According to the bank, the only person who can remove me from the account is the primary account holder (my ex). Aside from asking my ex to remove me from the account is there any way I can obtain a court order stating that I must be removed from the account?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If thisaccount  isn't mentioned in the court's original decree, you will have to get her to remove your name or request an amendment to the decree to order your removal. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.