What to do about a charge for court costs ifI made a payment before my court date?

The law office currently handling my credit card account mailed a court summons to me. I was told by the account representative, if I want to avoid the judgment that I should continue to make a payment arrangement. I made the arrangement and received an agreement letter of the arrangement;the principle that I owe and $779 for court cost. Why do I have pay court costs if I made the payment arrangement to stop the lawsuit? Also, why can’t I send in checks? I was told payments must be made through electronic access to my bank account.

Asked on December 24, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like you need to have someone take a look at the matter for you and to iron out the details here.  What are the court costs?   Ask for an itemized list.  Generally it is the filing fee.  Are they charging you for the preparation of the summons and complaint?  Couching it as lawyers fees?  If they did not file the suit then I think that they may be out of line with that charge.  And if you made arrangements before the action was properly commenced (served and filed and you have to be properly served not just mailed a copy unless you waived proper service) then there is nolawsuit. And I do not blame you as to the electronic transfer issue.  Insist upon a check.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.