county district attorney and city police over seer.

unethical judgement and gross miss conduct btoy police and D.A’s office who could i contact to make them accountable, its distroying my life?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you feel that police misconduct is leading to individuals being wrongfully arrested and/or prosecuted, your first step should be to consult with and/or retain an experienced civil rights attorney.  42 U.S.C. sec. 1983, otherwise known as the federal tort claims act, allows plaintiffs in civil rights lawsuits to recover monetary damages for constitutional violations.  What this means, in a practical sense, is that if the police are violating an individual's civil rights by conducting illegal searches, fabricating evidence, or causing them to be wrongfully arrested and/or prosecuted, that individual may be able to make them pay by filing a lawsuit.  This is a very tricky and complex area of law; therefore, it is necessary for you to consult with a civil rights attorney to discuss the specific facts of your potential case in order to determine whether you may or may not have a valid claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.