Can I apply for a non-immigrant visa while I await my green card?

My mother is a US citizen and she applied for me; it was approved. The National Visa Center has to now send me a visa number along with other documents. I was wondering if I can apply for a non-immigrant visa and wait for my documents from the NVC in the US?

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are in valid nonimmigrant status in the US right now, you can apply for a change of status from whatever status you currently hold to another nonimmigrant status, provided the petition for that status is approved.  It may be a long while before a visa number becomes available if the petition your mother filed on your behalf is not an immediate relatiave petition. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.