Could I and should I sue my previous employer?

I was arrested for possession of child pornography a few months ago. I had the materials for research and there’s enough evidence to prove it. I was arrested by Police due to ignorance and not having enough knowledge on technical matters. I am currently going through the a criminal case which I am confident that I will win given all the traceable information. I was involved on such research for number years and was not related to my job. I was fired from my job after 15 years due to violation of corporate policy. It was because I used one of the company’s old computer that was not in service to download some of the research materials. No one had access to them, nor it effected the business any way. The company did not even asked for an explanation from me. If the materials were to help people, did not cause any interference in business in anyway and specially was downloaded to a

Asked on June 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you violated company policy and whether or not you think that it was a serious violation, was not your call. Further, in an "at will" employment arrangement, an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. This is true so long as the employer's action did not violate a union agreement or an employment contract. Also, such action must not have constituted some form of legally actionable discrimination. Otherwise, your employer was free to set the conditions of work much as it saw fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.