What to o if I was convicted of a felony over 30 years ago at the age of 17 and the record was sealed then but now it has shown up in background checks?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

And you were convicted and sentenced as a juvenille?  And you are sure that you made an application for the records to be sealed under Family Code Section 58.003?  What exacgly showed up in the check?  Sometimes states require that you make an application for every portion of the record to be sealed: arrest, charges and conviction.  And not all convictions are permitted to be ssealed under the law.  You need to take the nackground check to an attorney who does these things and have him or her look at it carefully to see what went wrong.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.