Contractor or Employee

After working for a company for 3.5 years, in a job that meets the Common Law test, the Relative Nature of Work test, and the Economic Reality test, in defining me as an employee – even though I had to sign a 1099 form upon hiring – am I eligiblr for unemployment benefits?

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and have dealt with this in the past.  Generally, the state labor departmen should look at the tests you describe, not the fact that you got a 1099 to determine whether you are an empoyee and entitled to the rights associated therewith.  Therefore, i suggest filing the claim.  If the state denies the claim, i suggest hiring a lawyer to deal with this as it could be tricky.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, then i would try talking to legal aid.   you should however, be able to ontain the benefits after an explanation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.