If my father wants to give me his house, can I do a quitclaim deed without an attorney?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can you file a quit claim on your own; there is no legal requirement that an attorney draft and file it. However while drafting and filing a deed is not that difficult, a simple mistake could invalidate it; it's easy to make errors if you're not familar with the terminology and procedures.

The fact is that, you really should consider consulting with a lawyer in your area. To have an attorney handle this for you will only cost a few hundred dollars, which is inexpensive compared to the thousandsmyou'll spend if something goes wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.