Can an independent contractor be prevented from working elsewhere with a competitor?

I am a 1099 contractor with a company and that company has cut down my hours and pay with little notice. Are the legally allowed to stop me from seeking work elsewhere in the same field, even with a competitor? I have never signed a non-compete clause, nor have I signed any employment contract with this business that outlines any details of my employment. Everything has been verbal agreements or implied. However, I sought additional work and I was told I could not do so. As a contractor, I don’t think they can do this to me.

Asked on September 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A non-compete agreement would certainly prohibit you from obtaining outside employment with a competitor now or in the future. However, in if no such agreement was entered into, your employer can still terminate you if you attempt to seek such other employment. The fact is that a worker can be discharged for this reason, any reason or no reason at all. This is known as "at will" employment, which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. And this applies to both W-2 and 1099 employees. The only exceptions would be if such action violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, this treatment must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.