Contractor access to my condo to complete installation of neighbors cable TV cabling

I own a condo and my neighbor is having cable TV installed. The property manager has called me asking that I allow a cable contractor, who installs cable TV, to be allowed to enter my condo unit to complete the installation (something about the cabling needing to come through my unit). I am concerned that since I am not a customer of the cable company, if the contractor damages something or disables my satellite TV service, what would I do? Should I agree to allow the access or am I just being paranoid?

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you suffer any loss or damage, you'd have to sue the cable company to recover the money. While you'd have a good chance of winning, you'd lose 1 - 2 days (at least) of prime weekday time (9am-4pm) on the case, and would *not* be able to get compensation for any lost wages due to time spent in court; it would also take  few months to get the money; and note that since you'd be entitled to the fair market value, NOT the purchase price or replacement cost, of any items destroyed or damaged (say they damage a table or other item of furniture in moving it out of the way), which is typically lower due to items not being new, you may not be made entirely whole. There is therefore some risk for you, so you need to decide what to do in light of the fact that you face some exposure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.