condo association

My condo association is planning on repairs to common areas; the total cost is $6000 plus for each unit. They claim if voted on, each unit has to pay the cost up front or through a loan set up by the association, which will be $150 a month for 5 years tacked on to the $120 for condo fees. The company that has done the projects foreclosed so we are now responsible for all repairs for the old buildings and the new contractors for new buildings. Can they force to pay this if it voted on? If we can’t afford it, can they foreclose on the property? How much are they legally allowed to raise the condo fees in any given time? My personal situation is this: I am disabled, lost my job in March 09, and I am in serious debt already. This will be impossible for me to pay. I only get disability pay and child support and that’s not enough to pay my mortgage. I need to know if I have any options ASAP because the vote is today June 29th. Thank you for any info you can provide.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're asking for a snap answer to a very complicated question.  For reliable advice, an attorney would want to review at least the relevant parts of your condo association's documents, and the history of the debts and the work that was done in return for them.  That's not a one-day job, more than likely, for someone starting from scratch.

If you can pull together a group of unit owners who aren't happy with the result of the vote, you might be able to challenge it, with the help of an experienced attorney.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.