Company relocations

If my employer closes the office where I am currently working and says that I need to relocate to another office 70 miles away, am I eligible to collect unemployment if I refuse?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The California EDD website has guides regarding how determinations are made as to whether you can get benefits based on your situation. For example, take a look at the various situations considered (including distance and travel time) if you voluntarily quit your job:

This website provides helpful guidance as to how a final determination of benefits eligibility is made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.