What to do if my fiance and I are getting married in 6 weeks and her mother lives in Guatemala and would like to be here for the wedding?

Is it possible for her mother to come here for a week or two? Her mother would return because she owns a home in Guatemala.

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your fiance's mother intends to attend your wedding in the United States where she is a resident of Guatamala she had better go down to the nearest United States consulate where she lives and apply for a temporary visa to come to this country for a short period of time, namely the wedding and a vacation for several weeks. She needs to make sure that she has her Guatamalan passport current in the event she has never had one or the one she has is expired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.