What to do about a college prank?

I am a grad student. I just visited buddies in another large city. Goofing off, we had a “extinguisher fight” in a dorm hall, spraying each other and a wall camera. Unexpectedly, a new fire system went off; 2 floors were evacuated. Goofy. But the college gives the name of anyone disrupting student housing to the police. So will the cops pursue me between cities for this “crime” – my name and possibly address, but no contact, was given at the front desk? Can I just contact the college and pay damages or would this be a bad idea if info has been given to the police?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You just need to sit tight and not do anything like this again.  I would definitely not contact the police, the college or any resident advisor about this matter. If the police or college dorm managers need to find you, they will. Do not visit for a while and you may simply wish to limit contact as long as you can for a bit. The bottom line is you need to not be caught doing something like this again.  It coud jeopardize your graduate studies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.