DoI have to pay a collection agency if it says that I owe money but can’t/won’t say why?

I recently called by an collection agency regarding a $1003 bill I had from a cell phone account 3 years ago. My ex and I clearly remember paying it off. They say that they “bought” the bill from the cell phone provider and they only have the amount I owe and my name. I called the privider and after getting bounced around they told me that they sold the bill and didn’t have details anymore on the account. No one can tell me why I owe this money yet the collection company keep saying pay up. It keeps hitting my credit and such. Am I legally bound to pay?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the third party collection agency claims that you owe money for a delinquent bill that it purchased from some alleged creditor of you, but refuses to provide you with any information showing the debt or that you owe it, I would not pay it. You need to be aware that there are many entities and people out there trying to defraud people with claimed debts owed that they purchased.

I would get as much information about this alleged third party debt collection company and report it to law enforcement as a possible scam. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.