Co-ownership with spouse

Spouse and I own farm adjoining property our house is located
on. Daughter is purchasing house and 1.5 acres on land
contract. She wants us to deed to her the 10 acres of farm. I
refuse to do it because of hostile relationship she has with
us. However, she is using the farm acreage for personal use.
Can I, as an individual make her leave the farm property
since I own half of it or does it have to be a joint effort
between myself and my husband?

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Owners of jointly held property each have the right to let another use and occupy it. Accrodingly, since you and your husband are co-owners of the farm, then he has the legal right to let his daughter remain there. Without his cooperation, you cannot force her to leave.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband jointly own the land, they you would have to jointly remove her--or at least your husband would have to step aside and not interfere or let your daughter stay when you tried to remove her. Either joint owner can allow someone to use, occupy, etc. land, so if your husband allows her to stay, she can stay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.