If I was cited for allowing an unlicensed driver to operate my vehicle, do I need a lawyer for the 1st appearance?

Driver is my boyfriend but I did not giver him permission to drive the car. I would like this erased from record. What should I do? What is the probable outcome?

Asked on March 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were cited as a civil infraction ticket, then you do not need an attorney, but if you were cited as a misdemeanor offense, then you may need an attorney for your first appearance as this will likely be your arraignment. Typically, if you can show the city attorney that you had no knowledge of your boyfriend's license suspension, and that you had no intent to let him drive, the ticket may be dismissed or greatly reduced. Speak with a criminal defense attorney in your area to further discuss your options. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.