What to do if child support is going to force the loss of employment?

My fiancee was recently arrested for failure to pay child support even though he has been paying since finding a job. The courts are telling us he must pay $1000 or spend 15 days in jail, we do not have $1000 and if he spends 15 days in jail he will lose his job. What can we do? We have tried explaining this to child support and they will not budge.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He either needs an attorney to help delay the hearing so you can come up with the money or you need to borrow or pull from credit cards. The law requires that a person must either pay back monies owed or yes be placed in jail. It does sound counter-intuitive but it is truly a policy matter. Your fiance needs counsel to help him or pay the monies owed immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.