Where can child support be legally sent?

If a parent is making regular child support payments to a mother whom with the child no longer resides, is there a way to direct the payment where it will go to the child instead. For example, the child is 17 and left home, the mother still gets the child support payments bi-weekly. The law is doing nothing to make the child return home so is there a way to send the payments to the child instead or is there a way to put this money into a savings account for the child. The money is meant for the child so if the child no longer lives with the mother, then why should the mother still get the money?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As long as there is a court order in place which directs a child support payment to be made to the mother, then the child support payments will have to continue.  However, if the child no longer resides with her, then dad can petition the court to change or modify the support obligation.  The court will then decide where, to whom, and how often support payments will be made.  Before you file a petition to modify, make sure that you have good documentation of where the child is residing and how long he/she has not lived with mom.  Courts do not like to yo-yo back and forth into court (based on a policy of providing stable orders for parents and children to operate under).  Document and prepare so that you can get an order which meets your needs and your child's best interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.