Child Custody Question

I am 3 weeks away from my due date and have found out several things about the father of my child that makes me not want to be with him. Unfortunately he has money and tells me all the time he will get a lawyer and take the baby, is this possible?

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Family Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please, don't be intimidated by this man.  In almost every state, you will start out, as a single mother, with legal custody as a starting point, and he would have to show something serious and convincing, that you were unfit, before the court would take your child away.  And being poor isn't something that makes you unfit, it means that he will have to pay you child support based on his income.

If you don't qualify for legal services yourself, please find a way to talk to a lawyer, so that you can get detailed advice about your rights, based on the law of your state and the unique facts of the case.  One place to look for an attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.