What to do if a “friend” keeps on bouncing checks that they have written to me?

I have paid some bills for a friend who was having a hard time. He gave me a check which was supposed to cover the amount but it bounced multiple times. I asked for the $340 to be given to me in cash, which never happened. I am at loss now and cannot believe that a friend would do that. Is there a legal way to get my money or is it a case of lesson learned?

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend in Small Claims Court for the amount you are owed ($340) plus any bank fees charged to your account for the bounced checks.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) should include the above amounts plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

If you get a judgment against your friend, it would be advisable to request a wage garnishment from the court to insure that your friend will pay the judgment given his track record of bounced checks.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.