charged with 5 felonies by ex boyfriend, spent 2weeks in jail for it.

In the end he didnt show up for court and tha charges were droped. Can i sue him for loss of work and pain and suffering

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Maryland


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's possible, but it's not easy.  You would be suing him for malicious prosecution.  Part of what you would have to prove is simple, by the dismissal of the charges against you.  The hard part would be proving that the charges were completely unjustified, without probable cause.  You would also have to prove that the charges were filed for an improper purpose, just to make you suffer, although with an ex boyfriend, that doesn't sound terribly difficult.

Often, people want to file lawsuits like this, but can't satisfy the requirement of "special damages."  The courts don't like lawsuits that are based on other lawsuits, because that tends to make people less likely to go to the courts in the first place, which is not a good thing.  So malicious prosecution suits have this extra requirment, which means that you have to have had the malicious charges seriously interfere with your liberty or property.  In your case, two weeks in jail is more than enough.

Please, see a qualified attorney near you, give him or her all the facts, for reliable advice on your rights and what to do next.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.