What to do if a 17 year old was charged with a MIC but the officers did not get her name, breathalyize her or take down any other information at scene/time of the incident?

Then 2 days later we were called to the station based on statements from others present that she had consumed. The commanding officer misstated the consequences to both her/her parents and then asked if she had consumed. She replied to the positive. She was then issued a citation, dated on date of questioning, not on date of incident by the officer that was present at incident.Should I lawyer-up for the charges or let it take it’s course and seek expungement of the record later? This is a class c misdemeanor, first time offense.

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes indeed.  You need to get a lawyer.  I think that there are a ton of issues here and your 17 year old is facing a charge of a Class C misdemeanor in Texas (I am assuming that this is a first time offense).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.