How can I change my guardian?

I’m a 17 year old girl who is turning 18 next January. I currently live with my legal guardian and her mother because she can not afford living expenses. She is going down to the social security office to go forward on her application for disability. She’s pleading for insanity and chronic depression. She is indeed a bit of a nut and makes living almost unbearable in the household. There is no room for me, my aunt is willing to take me in but my legal guardian will not let me leave. She cannot take care of herself, let alone me. Is there anyway I can switch guardianship?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have concerns as to your well being while in the custody of your legal guardian based upon competency issues as you have stated, then you should consult with an attorney that practices in the area of child custody about having a petition filed for change of your legal guardian at the county court house.

If your guardian is in her position under some document signed by one of both of your parents, then most likely that document mentions an alternate guardian which could make the process all the more easier for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.