Change names on the deed.

My brother-in-law and I purchased a house and had a mortgage put in our names. My husband and I later re-financed the mortgage taking his brother off and adding my husband. We were not aware that the deed would not change as well. I need to know what I have to do to get the deed changed. I have to change to my married name on the deed, remove my brother-in-law and add my husband.

Asked on December 27, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You need to execute a new special warranty deed to reflect those changes and then file it with the county clerk where your property is located.  Many title companies will have attorneys on staff that can prepare the special warranty deed for a very reasonable fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.