Cash shortage restitution

In texas, are employers allowed to make cashiers repay for cash drawer shortages
from non-payroll funds, ie from their personal funds?

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an employer can do this. There's no rule against charging an employee for a shortage as long as the worker still earns at least the minimum wage. What it cannot do is to take the amount of such a shortage from the employee's paycheck (at least no without their written permission). If it wants reimbursement, it must be paid separately (i.e. from their own funds). This assumes of course that such an action does not violate the terms of an employment/union contract or constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.