What to do if my car was parked on street in front of my residence and run into by juvenile’s on a go-cart?

We have repeatedly tried to contact the parents to no avail. What are my options?

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Okay well you have a couple of options.  If you yourself have collision coverage make a claim under your own policy.  Your insurance company will pay out then surbrogate your claim - sue the responsible party.  If that is not an option then you can sue the parents to find out about the insurance options available in the household.  If they have a car then you can make a cliam under that policy.  If not but they have home owners, some of those policies extend to third party loss.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would make a claim with your insurance carrier for the automobile that you have written about assuming you have insurance and let your claims representative assist you in getting an estimate for the repairs. From there submit the estimate to the parents of the children for payment by a certain date.

If you do not get payment by a certain date then small claims court seems to be your legal recourse against the children and their parents for the damages caused to your vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.