If I accept a partial payment regarding damages to my car from an accident, canI still sue for the balance?

My car was damaged on the road by negligence of a construction crew. They accepted liability. They told me to get an estimate for the damages. After doing so, and being told they would take care of it, they then sent me a check for partial payment. If I cash check am I agreeing to this being the total amount they owe or can I still go after the remaining balance of the repairs?

Asked on December 19, 2010 under Accident Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Here is my concern:  WHO sent you the check?  Did the construction company submitted it to their insurance company?  Did you file an accident report I hope and did you notify your insurance company as well? Did you have coverage for this damage?  If yes, then your insurance could have paid for it and then subrogated against the liable party.  And what other paperwork have you gotten from the liable party?  An admission of liability?  Did they send a release with the check?  I really think that you should go and seek some legal consultation on the matter here and try and figure out the next move.  I would not cash the check until you do so.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.