car hit me they received a ticket I however had lapsed car insurance will i be able to get my car fixed

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You'd have to sue the person who hit your car. It sounds  like they would be liable, and thefore they (or their insurance, if they have insurance) will need to pay. However, they won't pay voluntarily, and lawyers cost money. Depending on the amount of damage, you may be better off paying to fix the car out of your own pocket rather than suing. This is especially so since in many states, it's a crime (a minor one) to drive without insurance, and if that's the case in your state, you are probably better off quietly letting the matter drop if you've not been ticketed yourself yet.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance coverage has nothing to do with it.  If the accident is not your fault, you are seeking payment to cover repair damage to your car from the other car owner's insurance, not yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.