What to do if a car dealership miscalculated sales tax?

Contract signed by both parties and I drove away in car. Now dealer wants me to sign addendums and pay difference. Am I responsible?

Asked on November 20, 2012 under General Practice, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible to pay the lawful amount of tax you should have paid. That amount is set by law, not by the dealership; it's not up to the dealership to determine your sales tax. Furthermore, the law recognizes that people sometimes make errors on contracts; if an error is typographic error, a mathematical error, or the like, a court would still enforce the contract and simply "reform" (correct) it to reflect what it should have been. For both reasons, you have to pay an difference between the sales tax charged you and the sales tax you should have paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.