Cant get car out of impound until police man can find the time to meet us at impound yard to collect $500.

Husband was pulled over because he was seen at a “known **** house”. He was searched and brought to jail. The police found no drugs on him but said he swallowed the drugs. He was released from the county jail but the car is impounded.The sergent in charge told me it would cost $500 plus towing fee plus impound fee.But: Now the police said we had to make an appointment with HIM so HE can be at the impound yard to get the $500. But when we try to make an appointment he is too busy to go there. Fee’s are adding up at the impound yard? Is there ANYthing we can do?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to find a good lawyer, who hopefully can make the police do the right thing.  I have to say that the need for a particular police officer to be at the impound yard to take that $500 payment, whatever that is over and above the impound and towing fees, sounds unusual to me, although I don't practice law in your state.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

It looks to me as if the police have decided that your husband is a drug dealer, even though they don't seem to have much evidence to go on.  Getting a lawyer is the best way to stop the police from going over the lines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.