cant afford a lawyer what can i do

my son received 4 tickets the most serious one was reckless driving. He is 26 years old he works ,but is paying child support and can not afford a lawyer. What can he do

Asked on December 31, 2017 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is a reasonable chance that if he speaks with the prosecutor the day of trial (he should make sure to show up early, to make sure he time to do so) that the prosecutor will agree to dismiss one or more of the tickets and/or let him plead some of them to lesser offenses. He needs to, as stated, show up early and stress his financial situation and obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.