cannot afford a lawyer but my income for legal aid i ‘m told is above the standard

post divorce action i’m unemployed and cannot make weekly payments to ex-wife

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot make your court ordered payments to your former wife due to a decrease in your income, you will need to file an amended income and expense statement with the court showing the decline seeking a reduction on the current ordered amount.

I suggest that if you cannot afford an attorney to assist you in your matter that you consult with the nearest legal aid office in your county of residence to get assistance in preparing and filing your amended income and expense statement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.