Can your husband refuse to let you take a vehicle if it’s in your name?

I have a friend, The van is titled in only her name and its paid off. Her husband took the keys and is refusing to let her drive it. She wantsin to leave him and move to my house, her best friend. Can he legally do that. He also told her that she isn’t aloud to come back home. shes at her Daughters right now.

Asked on February 27, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First off, if the vehicle was paid off during the marriage, it is still considered a marital asset. Aside from that, the fact that it is in your friend's name is helpful. She should contact the police and ask they be a civil escort to help her to get the vehicle. Also, as to not being allowed to come back, he cannot do that. That is the marital home and she can petition the court to enjoin him from preventing her to enter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.