Can you sue if your 2 year old son finds a crack pipe in your hotel room

While in Charlotte NC for my grandmothers
funeral my son open a draw and pulled out a
crack pipe and other item used to smoke
drugs. It took the staff over and hour to remove
the items from our room. Can you sue them for
something like this? Is there any legal issue

Asked on November 12, 2018 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can't sue. Lawsuits are designed and intended to provide compensation for physical injuries and economic losses and, in certain circumstances that would not here apply, for mental suffering. There was no physical injury (which is one reason you cannot sue for any mental anguish: you can only sue for mental suffering when there was physical injury, too, or you were next to a loved one who was killed or dismembered, or there was a deliberate attempt to inflict mental harm, like a course of bullying or harassment) and no costs or losess; therefore, there is nothing to sue for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.