Can you sue a newspaper company for publishing the wrong information on both paper and online?

it said that I went AWOL. What happened was that I was on probation but decided to turn myself in to the Immigration services.

Asked on June 18, 2014 under Personal Injury, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

For defamation, you need to have publication of a false fact that damaged a person's reputation and thereby caused the victim monetary damages.  I think I remember your question from before and you went back to Mexico from Arizona.  Therefore, any incorrect information that was published in Arizona caused you no money damages, so there is no basis for a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.