Can you leave the county if your on probation?

My brother lives in riverside county and our parents live in los angeles county. Is he able to come over.. I’m getting married also in a different county and he’s dosnt think he can leave.

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If he has permission from his probation officer he probably can.  Without such permission he can't leave the state, maybe even the county.

In order to get permission more than likely he would have to be on probation for a relatively minor offense, there would have to be a good reason for his leaving, and he would nothave had even the slightest probation violation up to that point.  Additionally, if the country he wants to go requires an entry visa, he may be refused due to his criminal record.

J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

while on probation you are usually limited in where you can travel within the country. Leaving becomes very difficult is not completely impossible.

Being as I do not know the specifics on what he is on probation for and his circumstances you really need to have your brother speak to his probation officer. That is the person who will provide either a yes or no answer and explain the logic behind whichever it may be. At this point that person has the complete power to decide and will follow specific protocol in making said decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.