Can you insure a vehicle if your are not the registered owner?

Who is liable if car is in an accident – the registered owner or policy holder?

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can insure a vehicle if you are not the registered owner.  If there is an auto accident in which the driver of the vehicle is at fault, the registered owner is liable.  Liability of the registered owner would include property damage to the other vehicle and the personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.