How to file a claim for bad faith with my insurer?

I feel that I have a claim for bad faith. My renters insurance company hasn’t been contacting me on the basis and status of my claim. It’s been close to 20 weeks and i have no clue whether my claim has been accepted approved the payout amount or anything.

Asked on March 1, 2019 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

A claim for contractual bad faith (e.g. violation of the "implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing," or the law-imposed obligation to deal with the other party to a contract, including an insurance policy, in good faith and to not act so as to deny them the benefit of the contract) is made via lawsuit. You would sue your employer for both "breach of contract" (i.e. violating the policy/contract by not paying when its terms say they should pay) and also for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. So you would not bring this claim unless and until you are ready to sue your insurer over it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.