Can you get pulled over if a security cop at a restaurant calls a police officer on his private cell phone and says that a couple of drunks are getting ready to drive?

The cop pulled me over and originally said he pulled me over for left of center but I was on a 1 way road. So now, he’s going with his call from this security guard.

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country law enforcement who have been alerted by  aprivate citizen that a possible crime has occurred (where a detailed decription of the person who may have broken the law is provided) is entitled to legally make a stop and possible arrest such person even if the law enforcement personnel did not see the alleged crime occur.

An example would be a call from a bank teller that the bank was robbed by a person driving a 1987 red camero. Law enforcement is entitled to pull over all red cameros in the vicinity of where the bank was robbed soon after the incident happened without even seeing the crime occur. The same goes with what the security officer allegedly observed as to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.