can you get past alimony owed if it has been 16 years since divorced

I have been divorced for 16 years, never remarried. The ex never paid alimony.
Can I still get the alimony owed after not doing anything about it for 16 years?

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Family Law, Utah


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you are stuck with what you have already gotten from the divorce.  Your time to appeal or undo the final order was several years ago.  Before or shortly after the final order was entered would have been the time when you had the right to request marital support.  If you did not bargain for or negotiate it at that time, then you have waived your right to request alimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.