Can you get a replacement ID card at the DMV office if you have a warrant for your arrest?

I was charged with a Burglary 1 this year and have not checked in with my PO. I need a new ID card but don’t want to be arrested at the DMV office. I’d rather take care of it on my own terms and not be embarrassed with my grandma with me.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest due to a violation of parole matter, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney to get the matter squared away sooner rather than later.

As far as being arrested when you try to get a new identification card at your local department of motor vehicles, sentiment is that the chances of you being arrested would be pretty slim. The reason is that the department of motor vehicles is not a law enforcement entity capable of arresting anyone. Likewise, I doubt that the department of motor vehicles would have access to the criminal online system to know if there is an outstanding warrant against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.