Can you file for child support if your child is 21 and you were not able to find the father until now?

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you can file a petition for past due child support even if the child is now an adult. The issue is that assuming there was not a child support order in effect you may be time barred from going back the full 18 years of the child's life for retroactive payment of child support.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney for further guidance as to what you have written about and the estimated costs for such a petition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.