Can you file an appeal if you took a plea?

My brother took a plea of life on probation, but then the closing argument the prosecutor asked for prison still and he got 5 years. What can I do to help?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your brother can appeal his plea of guilty, however he must do so within the statutory guidelines and time frame by State Law, which in most cases is 42 days or more from the time the plea was taken. Challenging a guilty plea on appeal can be difficult, so I would first advise you speak with a criminal defense lawyer or appellate lawyer in your area for consultation to assist in his appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.