Can you change your mind after you singed a quit claim deed over to someone else?

The person I signed my house over to hasnt kept their end of the deal and now don’t want to pay me.

Asked on January 8, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, a quitclaim deed is an irrevocable transfer of real property. Accordingly, ii cannot be undone simply due to the grantor's "change of mind". However, if it can be proved that some form of fraud or mental incompetance, etc. was a reason for the grantor to make the transfer, then it may possibly be voided by a court.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot undo the quitclaim deed and "change your mind": once you quit claim the property to someone else, it is their property. 
If there was an agreement (e.g. for them to pay or do something), you can sue them for "breach of contract" to make them pay or do whatever they were supposed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.