Can you become a citizen by marriage if you entered theUS illegally?

If so, what is this process?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If a person illegally enters the United States or illegally remains in the United States after his or her visa expires but enters into a legitimate marriage with a United States citizen he or she can apply for a United States via and eventual citizenship.

The application needs to be made to the United States Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization. This governmental entity will do a serious and thorough investigation to make sure that the marriage is actually a legitimate marriage and not a marriage designed solely to allow a non-citizen if this country an opportunity to obtain citizenship.

I recommend that you consult with an immigration atorney over your question.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.